Growing up, our sheep were a family project that consumed so much of our time. It was a 4-H project for my brother, sister, and me. I had allergies. I love to cook. So it began at a very young age of 12 that my mother would go to the barn in the summers and help with the sheep and leave me to tend to the laundry, cleaning, and cooking of family meals. I loved to cook, I was good at cleaning, so it made sense. As a small child I would follow maternal grandmother around as she tended to her chores. She taught me how to be a homemaker, I knew what to do.
Forward a zillion years. I am dating a wonderful man who was a city boy but spent summers, weekends, and after school working at his local park/zoo in Indiana. He would bail hay. He feed the zoo animals. He did a lot of "farm" things. So when I started talking about our family farm, often I didn't know the answer.
One day Steve (my now husband) and I were at my parent's home. We were all there; my parents, my brother and his wife, and my niece. We hadn't even been dating a year. Well anyway, we were talking farming. Steve piped up, "Is Susan part of a witness protection program, because she knows nothing about farming?"
Yes, I admit it I knew nothing about farming. My dad owed a Lennox business that was growing so fast he had to stopped farming our ground when I was about 6 or 7. In my defense, I knew more than Conrad (my brother) would admit but that is another story, another day.
Conrad burst out laughing. He loved it. I think his response was "yes she is, but don't tell anyone!" HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment