I work in a top 100 company where there are times of the year when I work 14+ hour days for days and days and days. The bonus to all the craziness is when work suddenly stops (end of a software release) I can "work from home," which means I am on call. But for all practical purposes I have the day off with just a few strings. I love these days. Today is one of those days. I had plans to really tackle my house, which is beyond dirty from those 14+ hour days. I was looking forward to it; a day all about me.
My sweet hubby had different plans. He is home sick. He is not so sick he is comatose in his chair. He is "under foot" sick; bit of a fever. I love him here but it seems like I am easily distracted, which is really my problem not his. So here I sit trying to get back to my well planned cleaning day, a fresh 3" of snow lay on the ground, and my thoughts are about snow days as a child.
We lived in the country. As a kid in grade school and junior high, my brother and I would be so excited about snow days. My mother taught in Canton school district and they never had snow days so we were on our own at home from about 4th/5th grade on (we were a year apart).
Back then the hard road that ran by our house was not as busy as it is now. Conrad and I loved to play in the deep ditches by the road. They would be completely filled in by the blowing winds so tunneling forts was awesome! We would play outside 'till our toes were numb and then go in to warm up and then back out again. What a glorious life. Funny I don't remember the responsibility of checking the animal waterer's, the ewes close to lambing, or even supplementing new lambs with milk. Though, I am sure we did. I just remember playing in the snow with my best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment