Thursday, February 27, 2014

Its Windy and Cold Outside and Water Everywhere

We went to Fairview Sunday to prepare to get the grain out of the bins. It was quite orchestrated event. I had church and we wanted to eat in Fairview (the best breakfasts ever!) where it stops serving breakfast at 11:00. So...we had a short 75 minutes (if our minister doesn't go over) to grab Starbucks and drive to 40 miles west. No talking after church (not always easy to do). Just head to the car. 

Well we made it with time to spare and the breakfast held up to our expectations. We always order the same thing: A giant pancake with a bigger than normal patty of sausage and a 3 egg ham and cheese omelet and toast. I want it right now just thinking about it.

That cafe has been around since I was a little girl. As a child my brother and I were allowed to walk from either Grandma's or the ball park to get an ice cream. Then the ceilings weren't dropped and they had fans that intrigued me. It is arranged differently, though I could tell you how it was arranged. But they serve wonderful food and always have several home make pies to choose from.

After breakfast we headed to the farm. We have to go over the Spoon River in Ellisville and it is high. The overflow had been taken over from the river and Mt Pisgah road was completely flooded. 

Central Illinois is thawing out. It was in the mid 50s on Thursday and the foot of snow is melting with no place to go.

On the way to work last Friday, we drive by a dry creek that feeds to the Illinois River when it rains. When it is really wet it floods the road. Friday this road was closed and the water was raging over the road and the ditch surrounding it were very full. 

Now they say it is getting cold again. The upside is the ground won't be mushy when they try to get the corn into the semi truck. And we did get the auger in place and the tractor that we use for the PTO has a block heater.

Side note: I didn't get this posted and tomorrow another storm is coming in....will this winter every stop?


No comments:

Post a Comment